Rules for Participants
The IEEE Italy Section 2019 PhD Thesis Award consists in an honorarium of 2000 Euro and a Certificate.
For the year 2019 two awards will be presented. At least one of the awardees shall be a woman. If no woman is selected, one award will be presented.
Only candidates with the following requisites are eligible for the award:
- be a Member or Student Member of IEEE
- have completed the PhD Course in an Italian University, and defended the Thesis in 2018 or 2019 (XXX or XXXI cycle)
- the thesis shall be on the following main field of interest: Smart Energy Systems, Smart Grids, Smart Industrial Systems. Focus of this Award are innovative applications which use data obtained
- from electrical, environmental, and/or process measurements with the purpose of improving efficiency, reliability, safety, security, fault tolerance, or other performance indexes
- thesis will be evaluated according to the following criteria: degree of innovation in the proposed methodology or technology, potential for application in real-world situations, potential effectiveness.
Candidates must send their application by
May 15 June 15, 2019 (23.59 GMT) together with:
- Name and email address of the candidate
- Self-certification of IEEE membership with member number
- Title of the PhD Thesis
- Name of the PhD Thesis Advisor and his/her contact email address
- Name of the University where the PhD has been acquired
- Date of final defense
- Electronic copy in pdf format of the PhD Thesis
- Electronic copy in pdf format of a 1-page Summary of the contribution of the PhD Thesis
- List of the publications co-authored by the candidate resulting from the thesis, if any
- Curriculum Vitae listing educational background of the candidate
- A presentation letter by the PhD Thesis Advisor
All documents must be sent in electronic format applying on the form at:
The thesis will be evaluated by a Board of four Experts in Electrical Engineering: three of them designated by the IEEE Italy Section and one of them designated by ABB. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by
June 15 July 30, 2019. The award will be presented during the Award Ceremony to be held at the 4th International Forum on Research and Technologies for Society and Industry (RTSI 2019, Firenze 9-12 September 2019).
All the decisions of the Board are final.
Candidates shall authorize to the treatment of the personal information provided according to the GDPR (Ue 2016/679) and the Italian law on privacy (D. Lgs. 101/2018) .
Winners shall authorize IEEE and ABB to communicate the award winning through communication media (web, newsletter, audio-visual, press, …) and ABB to communicate by email with the candidate for interviews.